If a tribute album is done by numerous artists in rock and metal, the importance and influential impact of the honor musician is very obvious. ‘Legacy: A Tribute to Leslie West’ is such an album. Slash, Zakk Wylde, Dee Snider, Bachman & Bachman, Martin Barre, Joe Lynn Turner, Charlie Starr, Elliot Easton, Robbie Krieger, Mike Portnoy, Eddie Ojeda, George Lynch, Marty Friedman, Steve Morse and Yngwie Malmsteen, to mention just some, are involved and added a piece to this outstanding tribute album.
The history of this album is a special one. Initially, the work was supposed to be a retrospective. West himself wanted to record some of his most favorite songs and wanted to do it together with several renowned guests. Unfortunately, fate threw a wrench in the works. Two weeks before the recordings were supposed to begin, West passed away unexpectedly and suddenly.
The idea quickly arose to follow up on West’s idea and make the album a tribute to the passionate guitarist. Rev Jones (b) and Bobby Rondinelli provided the right groove for most of the newly recorded mountain classics. Most of the guest musicians involved are vocalists and guitarists. Only on ‘Theme for an Imaginary Western’ does Mike Portnoy sit behind the drum kit and none other than Rudy Sarzo provides a grooving bassline.
Each of the twelve songs on this tribute album is a classic and needs no further explanation. The realization meets all expectations and if one song stands out for me personally, then it is the powerful and rough ‘Why Dontcha’, an interpretation in which Ronnie Romero’s voice comes into its own and is a well-done counterpart to Steve Morse’s filigree guitar playing.
‚Legacy: A Tribute to Leslie West‘ honors a great musician and passionate guitarist. This album features great songs, performed by excellent musicians, and we only can assume that this album is exactly what West had in mind when the idea of such an album arose.
- Blood Of The Sun (feat. Zakk Wylde)
- Nantucket Sleighride (To Owen Coffin) (feat. Joe Lynn Turner & Marty Friedman)
- Theme For An Imaginary Western (feat. Dee Snider, Eddie Ojeda, Rudy Sarzo, Mike Portnoy)
- For Yasgur’s Farm (feat. Joe Lynn Turner & Martin Barre)
- Why Dontcha (feat. Steve Morse & Ronnie Romero)
- Sittin’ On A Rainbow (feat. Elliot Easton & Ronnie Romero)
- Never In My Life (feat. Dee Snider & George Lynch)
- The Doctor (feat. Robby Krieger & Ronnie Romero)
- Silver Paper (feat. Charlie Starr)
- Money (Whatcha Gonna Do)/By The River medley (feat. Bachman & Bachman)
- Long Red (feat. Yngwie Malmsteen & Teddy Rondinelli)
- Mississippi Queen (feat. Slash & Marc LaBelle)
Label: Provogue Records
Genre: Hard Rock
Release Date EU: March 25th, 2022
AFM Records Alternative Metal Alternative Rock Black Metal CD Review Century Media Classic Rock Dark Metal Death Metal Doom Metal Extreme Metal Festival Frontiers Music Hardcore Hard Rock Hardrock Heavy Metal Inside Out Music Live Live Album Live Report Melodic Death Metal Melodic Metal Melodic Power Metal Melodic Rock Metal Metal Blade MHMB Modern Metal News Nuclear Blast NWoBHM On Tour Power Metal Prog Metal Prog Rock Punk Rock Season Of Mist Speed Metal Symphonic Metal Thrash Metal Tour Tour Dates US Metal