While fans still have to wait a bit before welcoming the anticipated eighth Mastodon album, the band belts-out an in-between release. ‘Medium Rarities’ bridges the wait but is also celebrates 20 years of Mastodon.
‘Medium Rarities’ features a sixteen songs comprising tracklist that includes a new song too, being the highlight that leads off the album. ‘Fallen Torches’ was recorded in 2019 and the plan was to release the track in parallel with a European tour. Plans changed and at the time focus went to ‘Stairway to Nick John’, a homage to the longtime band manager. ‘Fallen Torches’ is a song, built on a typical Mastodon monster riff and also includes with Scott Kelly (Neurosis) a guest, that adds a special tweak to this track.
Next to the new song, the release carries cover versions, live versions and instrumental versions, all being nice treats for Mastodon fans. Also collectors will welcome ‘Medium Rarities’ with delight and for everybody else the longplayer can act as a solid bridge until a new Mastodon record will see the light of day.
- Fallen Torches (Previously Unreleased)
- A Commotion (Feist Cover)
- Asleep in the Deep (Instrumental version)
- Capillarian Crest (Live)
- A Spoonful Weighs A Ton (The Flaming Lips Cover)
- Toe To Toes (Instrumental version)
- Circle of Cysquatch (Live)
- Atlanta (Feat. Gibby Haynes)
- Jaguar God (Instrumental)
- Cut You Up With A Linoleum Life (Aqua Teen Hunger Force)
- Blood & Thunder (Live)
- White Walker (Game of Thrones)
- Halloween (Instrumental version)
- Crystal Skull (Live)
- Orion (Metallica Cover)
- Iron Tusk (Live)
Label: Reprise Records
Genre: (Prog) Metal
Release Date EU: September 11th, 2020